Low carbon ferrochrome applications
Low carbon ferrochrome is an alloy composed of iron and silicon,which taking the coke,steel scrape and quartz as raw material,and smelting with electric furnace.Because silicon and oxygen easily combine to silicon dioxide, low carbon ferrochrome is often used as a deoxidizer in steelmaking。
The SiO2 formation gives alot of heat,at the same time of deoxidation, it is also beneficial to improve the temperature of molten steel.
Low carbon ferrochrome can also be used as an alloying element additive,which is widely used in low alloy structural steel, spring steel, bearing steel, heat resistant steel and electrical silicon steel.
Low carbon ferrochrome is commonly used as reducing agent in ferroalloy production and chemical industry.
1. Used as deoxidizer and alloy agent in steelmaking industry.In order to obtain qualified chemical composition of steel and ensure the steel quality,deoxidation is nec essary at a later stage of steelmaking.There is a strong chemical affinity between silicon and oxygen,therefore, low carbon ferrochrome is a strong deoxidizer for steel
making,used for precipitation and diffusion deoxidation.
2. Used as inoculant and spheroidizing agent in cast iron industry.Cast iron is an important metal material in modern industry，and is cheaper than steel and easy to melting smelting.It has excellent casting properties and is much better than steel in shock resistance.
3. Used as reducing agent in ferroalloy production.There is a strong chemical affinity between silicon and oxygen, and the carbon content of high silicon low carbon ferrochrome is very low.
4. in the Pijiang process of magnesium smelting,75% low carbon ferrochrome is often used in high temperature smelting of magnesium metal,replace the magnesium in CaO and MgO.
5. Uses in other industries.Ground or atomized low carbon ferrochrome powder can be used as suspended phase in mineral processing industry and electrode coating in electrode manufacturing.
Among these uses,Steelmaking industry, casting industry and ferroalloy industry are the high consumption of low carbon ferrochrome. They consume more than 90% of low carbon ferrochrome.